Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Windows Seven: "Windows could not start the Windows Event Log Service on Local Computer" and winsock

Today I sat on my PC like other days. It took long time to boot into The Windows Seven Desktop. When it booted it showed an error notification.

"Failed to connect to a windows service - Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrator user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."

So I tried to enable system event log service myself from services.msc. It reported another error!

Windows could not start the Windows Event Log Service on Local Computer

Error 1747: the authentication service is unknown.


Also I got an error when trying to activate network interface.
Unable to Initialize Windows Sockets Interface


I tried manythings. Like I was thinking if Kaspersky Internet Security has got the control. So uninstall it. Tried to enable, disable couple of services. Nothing solved it.

Finally the trick of resetting socket interface really worked. To reset the socket interface I opened a command prompt by clicking run as administrator. Then applied the following command.


C:> netsh winsock reset

Then I restarted the PC. Everything got fixed. It saved the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment